Tuesday, May 15, 2007


I teach Lace and Embroidery Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology as I think I have mentioned before. This year is my eleventh anniversary as a matter of fact. The years of doing this have been the main contibuting factor to how I see embroidery, talk and write about embroidery and appreciate embroidery.
While I find writing about anything is a great way to both organize your thoughts and gain clearer insights into the subject, teaching is the best way to do both of these things and at the same time either get instant validation or criticism.
Teaching whether at a school or college level or lecturing your peers puts you on the spot and if you take this responibility seriously you are the one that reaps the greatest benefits.
Each year I make slight changes to the way I teach the subject matter, this is a result of new techniques that I have learned and changes in the way that I prioritize the importance of the different lessons. It also serves to keep the material fresh for me.
I look forward to the coming semester and writing this blog has helped me imensely to put a new spin on some old material.
If you are thinking of a career in fashion FIT is an excellent choice you can find out more information about the school at http://www.fitnyc.edu/aspx/Content.aspx?menu=Future

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home